Roasted Shawarma Cauliflower with Schug
Difficulty: Easy ~ Makes: 20 servings
Humble cauliflower intermingles with the lively flavors of the Eastern Mediterranean in this veggie-forward dish.
Ingredients for the Cauliflower
- 10 whole cauliflower, about 2 lbs. each
- 1 ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 10 Tbsp. Shawarma Spice Blend
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper, ground
Ingredients for the Schug Sauce
- 10 garlic cloves
- 5 serrano peppers, stem removed but seeds left in
- 4 bunches of cilantro
- 5 Tbsp. Schug Spice Blend
- 5 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 ½ cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 5 tsp. kosher salt
Optional for garnish:
- 1 ¼ cups Date Syrup
- Trim the leaves and the base of the cauliflower leaving the core intact. Cut two, 1 ½” thick steaks from the middle of each head.
- Combine the remaining cauliflower ingredients into a seasoning paste. Gently rub all over the cauliflower steaks, making sure to keep them intact as much as possible. Roast covered at 450°F for 15 minutes. Then, uncover and cook an additional 5 minutes on each side, until browned and tender.
- To make the schug sauce, combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl once.
- Drizzle the cauliflower steaks with Date Syrup and serve with the schug sauce on the side.